Taco Tuesday has arrived once again! This edition finds me munching on sweet and spicy chicken tacos filled with crunchy cabbage, cucumbers, and brown sugar laced seaweed. The flavors of this dish were Asian inspired; sesame oil, sesame seeds, basil, chili flakes, and a bit of vinegar. The sauce coating the chicken thighs had a ton of flavor so for the rest of the ingredients I wanted to keep it fresh and simple.
When making a sauce like this I’ll often add a splash of rice vinegar to balance out all the flavors. This time I opted to try out some Sonomic Gold Almost Vinegar. This not quite vinegar is great for salads, sauces, drinks—and added the perfect sweetness and tartness—thanks to the Muscat grapes—to the dish. The flavor is very fruity, rich, but not too acidic; it complimented the spice and citrus elements of the dish nicely.
But back to the recipe… Flour tortillas went much better with the flavor profile of the ingredients than I think corn would have and they held together well with all that delicious, sticky sauce. I love straying from traditional taco recipes and these are a nice departure from the fillings I usually choose when eating out. I’d serve these with some cold sake or a fruity Belgian ale and invite a bunch of friends over for a casual summer lunch or dinner.
My only regret is I didn’t make a double batch so that I had leftovers! This chicken would be wonderful on top of some steamed rice or in a Asian chicken salad!
What are some of your favorite ways to mix up taco Tuesday? Leave a comment below!
- For the Chicken
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1.5 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into small pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup diced green onions, plus more for serving
- Handful fresh chopped basil leaves
- For the Sauce
- Juice from ½ a lemon
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp. sweet soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp. Sonomic Gold Almost Vinegar
- 1 tsp. fresh grated ginger
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds
- 1 tsp. cornstarch + 2 Tbsp. water
- For Tacos
- Small flour tortillas
- Shredded Napa cabbage
- Diced green onions
- Thinly sliced cucumber
- Brown Sugar Nori, crumbled (I got mine from Wholefoods)
- Hot Sauce
- Make the Chicken
- In a large skillet, heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add in chicken and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Cook for a few minutes before adding in garlic and green onions.
- While the chicken is cooking make the sauce.
- In a small bowl combine lemon juice, sesame oil, sweet soy sauce, Sonomic Gold, ginger, pepper flakes, and sesame seeds.
- In a separate bowl mix cornstarch and water then add to the sauce and whisk to combine.
- When the chicken is cooked through add the sauce and cook for another minute or so until sauce thickens and coats chicken.
- Turn off the heat and add the fresh basil and more green onions.
- Warm four tortillas in the oven, or use tongs to char over your stovetop.
- Top tortillas with shredded cabbage, cucumbers, chicken, and crumbled nori.
- Serve with your favorite hot sauce, like Sriracha, and enjoy!