Things are still a bit unsettled here in our new abode. There are a few lone boxes strewn about. The kitchen isn’t quite as organized as I’d like. There’s a huge tarp in the living room for furniture painting. Things are a little cluttered, but I’ve been dying to fall back into a steady rhythm when it comes to cooking.
There’ve been adjustments there as well. The ideal peak lighting times have shifted. Sadly the best light in our apartment is in the bathroom in the late afternoon. Not conducive to food photography but great for getting ready! It’s all messing up my flow…but I’m finding balance as I go.
The other day I decided to cook my first CRAVINGS dish in the new place. There’s a great bakery not far from me (Bea’s Bakery in Tarzana) that sells wonderful bread and bagels. I’ve been on a bagel kick lately and decided to make a bagel sandwich. Something both fried and fresh—fried for indulgence, fresh because I’ve been eating junk food like a madwoman.
I made panko fried chicken sandwiches with baby kale, cucumber, tomatoes, shallots, pickled artichoke hearts, and a lemony garlic Greek yogurt spread. It’s a relatively quick and easy recipe perfect for a lunch or simple dinner. I struggled with the lighting a bit for these photos but all in all the shoot went well. More importantly the sandwich was amazing. The crunch of the panko with the freshness of the veggies and the tangy yogurt came together wonderfully!
So without further ado…
- 2 Bagels
- 2 chicken thin breast fillets, pounded ¼ inch thick
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup panko
- 1 egg, whisked
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Olive oil for frying
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. lemon zest
- ¼ tsp. minced rosemary
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Topping Ideas
- Baby kale or spinach
- Thinly sliced cucumber
- Marinated artichoke hearts
- First, slice and prep any toppings you’ll be using. You want to eat this hot and crispy chicken sandwich ASAP!
- In a small bowl mix yogurt, lemon juice and zest, rosemary, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a large pan heat about 1/3 cup olive oil on medium heat.
- Place flour, egg, and panko in separate bowls.
- Season chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- Dip each breast in flour, then egg, and finally panko. Being sure to press the chicken in the panko so it gets a nice coating.
- Fry chicken in olive oil for a few minutes on each side until golden brown and cooked through.
- Allow cooked chicken to drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Toast bagels and spread with yogurt mixture. Top with whatever toppings you desire, chicken, and enjoy!