Have you ever had mango or melon with salt, lime, and chili powder? Growing up, a lot of my friends were addicted to those flavors and used to snack on salty spicy fruit and spend their allowances on those mango or melon pops coated in chili powder. It was never something that appealed to me until later in life. Now the blend of spicy, salty, and sweet is a near euphoric experience! Which is why I am so excited to bring you these micheladas, just in time for Game Day!
I love Bloody Mary’s and a michelada is essentially just that, except with beer instead of vodka. These are really easy to make; you can have a pitcher of spiced tomato juice prepped, chilled, and ready to go. Just add the beer of your choice. I kept this very simple because the last thing you want during the game is to be mixing complicated, labor-intensive cocktails. Plus it goes great with my Game Day Datil Gumbo Chili recipe!
One of the best parts of this drink is the addition of Del Viejo’s Datil Pepper Spice to each component; the mix, the mango garnish, and the rim of the glass. The bright, salty, tart flavor is perfect for this cocktail!
The spiced mango garnish is one hundred percent incredible enough to eat as is! It might not be a bad idea to have an extra batch in the fridge for your guests. I tossed fresh mango chunks in a little lime juice, Datil Pepper Spice, and chili powder.
I used V8 Spicy Mango juice cocktail and added in some Sriracha, chili powder, ground ginger, and Datil Spice. I like my micheladas spicy but you can always set out some hot sauce options for your guests so they can customize their drink. Per my brother’s suggestion I chose Modelo for the beer—it’s a well-balanced, crisp pilsner that goes great with the flavors of this drink. He also volunteered to be my drink model for a day. Thanks Jung!
Make these! Make them spicy! Tell me what you think below!
- For the Tomato Juice
- 1 bottle V8 Spicy Mango Vegetable Juice Cocktail (chilled)
- 1-3 Tbsp. Hot Sauce (I used Sriracha)
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. Del Viejo Datil Pepper Spice
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- Juice from ½ lime
- 6 bottles Modelo Especial
- Limes wedges for garnish
- Extra hot sauce
- For the Mango
- 6 bamboo skewers
- 1 ½ cups mango, cubed
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ¾ tsp. Datil Pepper Spice
- ¼ cup lime juice
- For Rimming the Glasses
- Juice from one lime
- 2 tsp. Del Viejo Datil Pepper Spice
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- In a large pitcher mix V8, hot sauce, and spices. Stir, taste, and adjust if necessary.
- Mix mango with lime juice and spices and thread about 6 chunks onto each wooden bamboo skewers for garnish.
- Mix 2 tsp. Datil Pepper Spice with 2 tsp. chili powder. Rim 6 large glasses with lime juice and dip into spice blend.
- Pour about 1 cup of tomato juice mix into each glass. Top off with ice cold Modelo. Garnish with lime and mango skewers.
- Serve with lime and extra hot sauce!