It’s Friday! That means Friday night cocktails to ring in the weekend! It’s time for you to unwind, relax, maybe order some pizza, watch horror movies… wait, is that just me? No one else’s ideal Friday night involves appeasing their agoraphobia and watching horror movies (good or bad—I don’t discriminate)? In case anyone’s curious, tonight’s flick is Goodnight Mommy. A heartwarming film about twin boys who begin to question their mother (fresh back from some intense plastic surgery) is who she claims to be. Delightful!
My week has been busy, productive, and full of surprises. To celebrate I made vodka mojitos with blueberries, ginger and sage! Heritage Distilling’s infused vodkas are the perfect way to enhance any vodka cocktail you plan on making. Their ginger infusion is one of my favorites! You can really detect the bright, peppery, heat from the ginger and the vodka tastes very fresh.
I used some blueberries from the farmer’s market for the base of this cocktail. I simmered them on the stove with water, agave, sage, and fresh sliced ginger to make my own blueberry juice. I used 1/3 cup of agave syrup and think I’d do a bit less next time. It tasted fine but I don’t like drinks that are overly sweet. I really love the earthiness of sage and chose that over mint to mix things up a bit.
Once the blueberry mixture had simmered for about ten minutes I strained into a glass bowl and let it cool before chilling in the fridge for a few hours. The amount of juice yielded is enough for about three cocktails depending on how strong you want the blueberry flavor. Make two if you want them stronger and sweeter. You can garnish them with lime, sage, fresh blueberries, etc…
They were fruity, fragrant with sage and ginger, and the perfect start to my weekend. What kind of twist do you like to put on your mojitos, if any? Also, leave any horror movie recommendations below—old or new, good or bad. I’m always on the hunt!
- 6 oz. blueberries
- 1/3 cup agave syrup, sugar, honey
- 2 thin slices peeled ginger
- 10 sage leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1.5 oz. lime juice
- 4.5 oz. Heritage Distilling Ginger Vodka
- Lime flavored sparkling water (I like LaCroix) or club soda
- Lime, for garnish
- Blueberries for garnish
- Combine blueberries, agave, ginger, sage leaves, and 1 cup of water in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce heat, and cook until berries have burst and started to dissolve, about 7-10 minutes.
- Strain blueberry mixture into a glass bowl and allow to cool before refrigerating for 1-2 hours. You could also fill a baking dish halfway with ice water and place bowl with blueberry mixture in that to speed things up.
- Fill three glasses with ice and 1-3 sage leaves. Muddle with a wooden spoon.
- For each drink pour 1/3 cup blueberry juice, 1.5 oz. vodka and .5 oz lime juice into a cocktail mixer filled halfway with ice. Shake and strain into prepared glass. Top with club soda or sparkling water.
- Repeat for the other drinks. Garnish with lime, blueberries, and sage.